Recently, Shaw Industries Group, Inc. (Shaw) has released its 2018 sustainability report, which emphasizes the company’s efforts to sustain[HUMAN]ability – to put people at the heart of its sustainability efforts, addressing planetary health and human experience at the same time.
“The definition of sustainability is broadening to include potential impacts on our human experiences, not only the importance of ingredients that go into products, but also the effects of sound, moisture and other design elements,”
stated Susan Farris, Vice President Sustainability and Corporate Communications at Shaw Industries.
The report exemplifies how Shaw is responding to the evolving sustainability landscape through its ongoing initiatives and key accomplishments:
- Continued its 20-year commitment to Cradle to Cradle® principles providing a framework that focuses on material health and the ingredients that go into products, in addition to material reuse, renewable energy, water stewardship and social fairness.
- Reduced energy and greenhouse gas (GHG) impact, cutting Scope 1 and 2 emissions in half from 2010 baseline.
- Achieved carbon neutrality in commercial carpet manufacturing operations globally.
- Began operating a Combined Heat & Power plant at its Columbia, S.C. fiber production facility, which reduces the plant’s annual greenhouse gas emissions by an estimated 26,000 metric tonnes—an impact equal to removing almost 5,500 passenger vehicles from the road each year.
- Joined the World Green Building Council’s Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment as part of the momentous Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco.
- Incorporated the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact into its more robust sustainable sourcing policy.
- Recycled almost 1 billion pounds of carpet since 2006.
- Recycled more than 24 billion bottles at Clear Path Recycling since 2009.
- Invested more than $1.5 billion in new and existing facilities in the U.S. over the past five years.
- Provided more than 1.3 million training hours for its associates.
- In conjunction with associates, donated more than $6.5 million to non-profit organizations.
Read or download Shaw’s 2018 Sustainability Report at shawinc.com.